Monday, September 8, 2008

Scope Planning

Assignment 3 Title: 'Rice' to the Future, the Future is in Your Hands

Project Start Date: August 19, 2008

Projected Finish Date: September 9, 2008.

Project Manager:

HP: 017-3053382

Email: angie_chongwc@hotmail.com


Project Objectives:


The objective of this poster is to create an awareness amongst people about the importance of conserving rice supply for its abundance in future. The poster calls everyone to rise to the occassion of food shortage for the sake of our own future. It is our responsibility and actions must be taken now to ensure life in abundance. This project relates 3 assignments. 1st assignment is to design a symbol to represent the area of choice in global warming. I designed a symbol that shows the effect of drought to the land and how it affects the global rice shortage. Using cracked rice bowl with grains falling into the cracks of earth and a pair of chopsticks holding on a single grain of rice, I create the awareness of this issue that is not widely known. For the 2nd assignment, I draw an illustration of a section of a vast paddy field with ripe paddy stalks bended under the bright sun and clean blue sky. This is to state that this is how things should be instead of poor harvest and drought. Therefore, for the 3rd assignment, to design a poster of awareness, I will combine these 2 concepts and show that if we act now, the ideal environment can be preserved and ensure life in abundance.


Approach:

1. I use basic tools like Pen Tool, PaintBrush Tool, Pencil Tool, and Shape Tools (eg. Rectangle Tool, Flare Tool), to draw the objects.

2. For objects with a lot of duplicates, I use Symbol Sprayer Tool. Then, I use Symbol Sizer, Symbol Scrunger, and Symbol Shifter tools to create variation.

3. I use Eyedropper Tool, Live Paint Bucket Tool, and Gradient Tool to colour.

4. I use Type Tool for the text in the poster.

5. For extra effects to the drawings and fonts, I use Gaussian Blur, Radial Blur, Outer Glow, Feather, Extrude and Bevel, Warp (eg. Shell Lower, Shell Upper)


Roles and Responsibilities:

Week 9- I started to plan the layouts and how the overall look that I want for my poster. I searched for poster layouts and take note of the type of positioning that attracts my attention.

Week 10- I started sketching while referring to the notes I've taken on layouts. During this week's tutorial session, I referred to my tutor about the layouts of my objects and the texts. After getting the approval on it, I worked on the title and main statement.

Week 11- I researched on my area of choice again for the right message to be shown. From a choice of statements, I finally picked " 'Rice' to the Future, the Future is in Your Hands" as my statement. I updated blog with my progress so far. Then, I start working on the poster in Illustrator until completion.

Week 12- A few additions and edits. Printing and mounting must be done for submission.



Comment:

This project drives me to learn new skills using a vector program. I had fun in the process as I like learning new things, though it is very busy nearing the final submission with workloads and presentations from other classes. One of the toughest parts of the project is the way to convey the right message in the image. The statement must sum up your ideas and gives a strong message.


No comments: